The Legals




    Notice of Intended Marriage.

    Step 1

    • This document must be lodged with your celebrant one month before the Marriage takes place.
    • this form asks you to provide evidence of your date and place of birth – if you are born in Australia, this is either your birth certificate – an original or copy issued by the relevant registry, or an Australian passport.
    • if you are born overseas, then a birth certificate from your country of birth, an Australian passport or your overseas passport is acceptable (even if expired) – again, original documents, not photocopies and officially translated if required.
    • if you have been married before, you will be asked to provide evidence of the dissolution of that marriage, either a divorce certificate or a death certificate for former spouse.
    • if you and your partner are related to each other you must disclose the relationship.
    • you will each need to provide current photo ID – a driving licence is ideal.
    • you must both be over the age of 18.
    • there are certain exceptions in special circumstances – contact me for individual advice.

    Step 2

    Prior to the marriage, we will need to complete a Declaration of No Legal Impediment together.

    Step 3

    At the ceremony, we will sign 3 certificates. A commemorative certificate which you keep, a copy which I keep and a copy that is forwarded to the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, to officially register your Marriage. These certificates will need to be countersigned by a witness for each of you, someone who is over the age of 18 and speaks English.

    If you who require assistance from a celebrant in support of an application for a prospective marriage visa, I welcome the opportunity to be of service.